Defenceman Paul Martin will have to miss his chance to play for Team U.S.A. at the Olympics this year. A slow-healing broken left forearm will keep him on the shelf, he announced today, and he’ll have to miss the games in Vancouver.
Martin withdrew his name from the U.S. Olympic hockey roster today. He was injured in an October 24, 2009, game after being hit by Bill Guerin’s shot. Martin suffered a setback in his recovery in December after the fracture wasn’t healing at a rate the doctors would have liked. He had another surgical procedure to get things on the right track, but it doesn’t look as though he’ll be back in time to compete.
“It is healing properly, it’s just not to the point where the doctor wants to see it,” Devils president and general manager Lou Lamoriello said.
Martin skated last week but was told on Monday that he’d have to continue wearing a cast for at least another two weeks.
“While the decision was an extremely difficult one, I feel it is in my long-term best interest to not rush any return to the ice,” said Martin. “I look forward to rejoining my New Jersey Devil teammates in the near future, and would also like to wish my fellow Devils’ Olympians and the rest of Team USA good luck in their pursuit of the gold medal.”
Lamoriello said that he believed Martin would be ready when the Devils take their West Coast swing in March after the Olympic break. His return would be vital at this point and time, as the Devils are currently stuck in a 3-6-1 skid.
With teammates Zach Parise and Jamie Langenbrunner, a late addition to the roster, headed to Vancouver to play for Team U.S.A., Martin’s got to be feeling pretty bad about having to miss this opportunity. Even so, I think the defenceman is making the right call here in setting his priorities on a complete return to the game. Rushing it is never a good idea.
Posted by Jordan Richardson.