The blueliner was down on the ice for several minutes, but was able to move his arms and legs. Max Pacioretty reported that he was speaking as he left the ice.
Now, after testing at Montreal General Hospital on Thursday night, Subban was released and is facing a non-serious neck injury. As bad as the situation looked on the ice, the Habs and Subban have very good news on this Friday morning.
There is no word on a timetable for a return to the ice as of yet, but thankfully he’s going to be okay.
“Nobody knew exactly what happened,” captain Max Pacioretty said after the game. “That was the scariest part for me. It looked like a nothing play. It was impossible to concentrate after that.”
Pacioretty went through a similar situation nearly five years ago to the day. Boston Bruins defenceman Zdeno Chara slammed the Canadiens forward into a stanchion at the Bell Centre. Pacioretty suffered a severe concussion and a fracture of the C4 vertebrae on that play and the incident set off a whirlwind of controversy, with even the Montreal Police Service getting involved.
Luckily, there is no such controversy this time and the freak accident that took down Subban was a complete fluke.
“You always want to make sure your player’s going to be healthy and is going to be fine,” said Canadiens coach Michel Therrien. “It’s always scary when you see the doctors go on the ice and you don’t know what’s going on. I think all the bench felt the same thing and when he left on the stretcher.”
Earlier in the day, Subban was awarded the Jean Beliveau Trophy by the club for his community involvement. He made a $10 million commitment over the next seven years to the Montreal Children’s Hospital and has been a pillar in the community since his arrival on the Habs.